ECNU has established exchange relationship with Ecoles Normales Supérieures (ENS Group) for more than 20 years, which is a higher educational institution in France with more than 200 years of history, well known for its top quality of education.
ECNU started a joint graduate program with ENS Group in 2002 in the disciplines of biology, chemistry, physics, and European studies in economics, history, international politics, philosophy, and sociology.
The program enrolls its candidates from graduate students who are in the end of his/her first year of the Master program at ECNU or one of its partner institutions (Fudan, Jiaotong, and Tongji), and with an outstanding academic background. The students admitted to the program are required to take 4 more courses with the professors from ENS, in addition to their original required courses.
The two year program leads to a Master degree from the student's university of origin and an ENS Group predoctoral certificate. About one third of the students are chosen to further their joint doctorate degree pursuit in France.
Results and progress of the program
- So far the program has enrolled 168 graduate students for the past 7 years. 118 of them who entered at the first 5 years graduated with joint Master degree certificate. 68 of them went to study in ENS Group as doctorate candidates. ECNU has enrolled students from ENS Group since 2006.
- ENS Group has sent about 70 professors to ECNU for lecturing. ECNU also sent 40 or so professors to ENS Group for academic exchanges.
- Channels for close cooperation in scientific research between professors from both sides have been built up, in the fields of life science, chemistry, sociology, optics and electronics, etc.
- Academic seminars have been held jointly by the two parties.
- ENS Group-ECNU Joint Graduate School at ECNU was formally established in June 2005.
- Preparation of a joint research institute is in progress.